Monday, August 20, 2012

Still Waters in a Storm, Make the Road & the day I rode nearly 40 miles

The first time I contacted Stephen Haff, Chief of Still Waters in a Storm, a reading and writing sanctuary in the volatile, big-hearted neighborhood of Bushwick, Brooklyn, was in March when I was still trying to figure out how exactly I was going to pull off Raw Fiction. He was immediately welcoming and told me when the best time to stop by would be. The day I attempted to ride out to the small schoolhouse on Stanhope, I wound up with a flat tire while crossing the Williamsburg Bridge and then got so caught up with my own work I never made it back to see the school.

Five months later I finally made it to this haven for happy children. One day later than expected because of the rain it poured on Wednesday. What was the universe trying to tell me, I wondered? And I almost didn't make it again. And then I almost didn't make it on Thursday, 16 August, 2012 because I left my wallet at home. I didn't realize I'd left my wallet behind until I was going to pay at the print shop on E. 4th Street that only charges $0.39 for a color copy as long as you get 100 made. Plus 100 black and white double sided prints at $0.15 a pop. And haha, Mr. Independent Business Owner, I forgot my wallet and can't pay you for that $55 order.

Liton, the owner of the copy shop, was a lot more calm than I was and didn't accept my phone as collateral preferring to send me racing off to Brooklyn on my bike with my phone and his number in case anything came up. Hooray for good people! One hour and 10 miles later I was back, paid and had exactly an hour (minus 3 minutes) to get to Stanhope before 5pm.

I felt dizzy, my temples were pounding, my throat was parched. I knew I needed water but I was too spaced out to go in and buy some quickly so I snapped my helmet strap under my chin, threw my leg over my trusty black Mercier and headed for the Williamsburg Bridge. I took Broadway to Flushing and my adrenaline was so high I was flying past cars as I sprinted into Bushwick, and then I flew too fast past, way way past, Irving then Wyckoff, the cross streets, past Metropolitan before I stopped and thought, I've gone too far. Retraced my steps, legs growing muscle with every pump of pedal, and I made it, with 15 minutes to spare.

I locked up and walked into the store front school house with curtains and children's art work dressing the windows. I walked into a party, a festive scene with delighted children and relaxed adults. A table display of different kinds of cake stood as the centerpiece to this end of summer party scene. Stephen Haff, with blondish wisps of hair under his cap, came forward to greet me. The Chief of Still Waters, an appropriate title for this gentle soul who is at home in Bushwick with gleeful youth swarming around. Unfortunately, programming for teens is no longer available so his connection to that population is limited.

Stephen referred me to an organization called Make The Road which was not too far away. I went directly, dehydrated and on the verge of delirium but my adrenaline was so high I knew I could do it. Luckily I had to wait a few minutes before a youth power project organizer could meet with me.

I really must remark upon how graciously I've been welcomed into all the organizations I've interacted with. Me: sweaty and wild-eyed on Thursday or soaking wet from thunderstorms the previous day at The Center for Black Literature. People are willing to meet me, sit down with me, hear what I have to say. "I'm doing a project for youth, I want to give them professional skills." "Sure, come on in, let's hear it." It's all about the opportunity, the youth, the community.

So, I had a few minutes to cool down. I drank some water and collected my thoughts. When Jaritza came out to meet me she led me through the offices to the youth section. I confessed my lack of knowledge for the organization and had only just stopped by on the suggestion of Stephen Haff of Still Waters in a Storm. I was given a brief tutorial of what Youth Development means to Make the Road: activism, community involvement, knowledge of social and political issues. In their words: Make the Road New York (MRNY)* builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services.

Stop and Frisk is a big issue for youth. For those of you who don't know: "The police are stopping hundreds of thousands of law abiding New Yorkers every year, and the vast majority are black and Latino."

One of their big project is creating a newspaper written by youth in Brooklyn and Queens.


Young people thinking about and reporting on everything:






Not only am I doing my best to establish an idea and create a project that is inspirational I am realizing as I go along that I have been seeking inspiration and by going out, pedaling around, pounding the pavement, I am meeting and seeing the passion and drive that gets so overlooked by most forms of popular media and I am inspired.

I am thinking a nice aspect of the launch could include a table at which Brooklyn organizations can leave their flyers and information, get people signed up to their email lists and create connections with like-minded people doing social justice work all over Brooklyn and New York City. Launch meets Recruitment meets Networking event - with something of a chilled out carnival feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment