Tuesday, August 21, 2012

exalt youth

I was prepared. I had flyers and brochures printed, I had my wallet, the sky was clear and I'd left my bike at home. There were no train delays and I exited at Borough Hall, found Remsen Street sans ado, went through two friendly security guards and found Suite 1000: home of exalt youth, the most exciting organization I found without referral. I found them on Idealist.

exalt's mission:
exalt is premised on demonstrated success showing that substantive, supported internships can be powerful catalysts and incentives for youth to pursue their education and employment goals. Our mission is to transform the lives of court-involved youth by equipping them with the skills and experience necessary to become self-sufficient members of society.
exalt fulfills this mission by providing a cohesive program with four components: employability and life skills training; paid internships in youths' fields of interest; post-internship skill development and support services; and an alumni network that provides ongoing access to education and career development support and resources.

Instead of sending an email I decided to show up unannounced on a Friday afternoon and introduce myself to a receptionist. What a presumption I made! I walked right into an office in action. There was no front desk and there was a lot of movement of very well-dressed youth and staff. They were preparing for graduation. The energy was high and focused. Despite my intrusion I was greeted pleasantly and I was welcome to state my business.

Luckily enough I'd opened the door on Gisele Castro, the Director of Programs and External Relations. When she said her first name I recognized having seen it on the website, right below the name of Founder and Executive Director, Sonja Okun. I started describing my project and Gisele saw connections and movement and opportunity for the youth who were about to graduate. I hope something can come of it, if there is a youth in their midst who is interested in writing I can only be confident that Raw Fiction would benefit from the skills and community awareness he or she would bring to the table.

I left feeling rather exalted. Headed up Fulton Street barely taking in the commodity lined blocks and bustling Brooklynites, thinking about what I was doing with Raw Fiction. This one time project. So many organizations struggle endlessly to keep their doors open, and I really don't believe I have the personality type to endure a long-drawn battle, but one time, is it really enough to make the difference I want to see, to create the debate I hope to inspire and to learn the skills and theory I seek to develop?

Make the Road by walking it and you will find your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment