Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Team Goes to El Museo del Barrio

I missed a great photograph today. The youth sitting on a bench facing a gigantic photograph of a path leading to a mountain. Not speaking. Waiting.

I had attempted to steal the language reigns of the project due to lack of speed but the Editor-in-chief coup'd. She claimed her own pretension and snobbery and stated that even she wouldn't request such high writing. So fix it, I said. It's written. Why isn't it here?  It's saved in my computer. With complete sentences as opposed to a bullet list? Yes, she assured me. So I want to see it.

One of my writers gave the thumbs to my boosting them over this first hurdle; after telling me she wouldn't be able to make it, she'd forgotten about a school trip, so stressed out; Raw Fiction is enrichment, it shouldn't be stressful. Another writer also approved and gave feedback regarding some of the technical details, very helpful. One thought the opening paragraph was too refined to be asking for the unrefined: it's complicated and unapproachable and where's the grittiness? One wanted to redo it herself (see paragraph above). One had no comment, the same who was waiting at the wrong museum for 20 minutes.

I told them to just go in and experience the art. No assignment. Just look at what you like.

There was a photograph on the wall of the museum. Of fire escapes full of people. Like water slides, the Editor said.

While they were waiting for me to get my bag from the bag check, I handed the camera to the Project Manager. She had them take a picture of her:


And returned the camera. So I gave it to the Graphic Designer for the walk to East Harlem Cafe where we were heading for snacks and a meeting. She did nothing but turn it off after a few minutes.

There they discussed the project and I got some snapshots of their serious seriousness.


The project manager took the last shot of the cafe.

The following I found in the museum where there weren't any guards:



I sent them home with Baldwin and told them to write on the photocopies. Underline the most powerful sentences. Reread five paragraphs once you're done.


2 comments:

  1. I want to visit the museum. Which one did you go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was El Museo del Barrio. I wrote about it and provided a link: www.elmuseo.org in my previous blog post. You should check it out!

      Delete